ملتقى الشفاء الإسلامي

ملتقى الشفاء الإسلامي (http://forum.ashefaa.com/index.php)
-   English forum (http://forum.ashefaa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Functions 1 (http://forum.ashefaa.com/showthread.php?t=49985)

قذائف الحق 22-04-2008 06:15 PM

Functions 1

Dear readers, managers and supervisors of the English forum,

I really appreciate you efforts and I would be pleased if
you accept me one of the participants on your English forum pages. I will write under the title ( ******** Functions ) This will be a very useful selection of the confusing words in the English ******** . I have extracted and quoted them from different books; The most famous one is Longman English Dictionary . I wish all brothers and sisters would benefit from this participation
Best Regards

Ability /skill / talent / knack

We use these words about how well someone can do things. Your ability is what you can do mentally or physically: artistic ability / athletic ability. You can loss your ability to do something: He lost his ability to walk after the accident. A skill is something you can do well because you have learned and practiced it: a class to improve writing skills. Talent is a natural ability to do something particularly well: She has considerable musical talent. A knack is a more informal word for something you do particularly well: a knack for decorating

قذائف الحق 23-04-2008 07:06 AM

Functions 2

Job, work, occupation, career, and profession

Work : is what you do to earn money: I have to go to work now. / He can't find work .
Job : your job is the particular type of work that you do : She got a job as a waiter .
Occupation : is a word used especially for official forms meaning the job that you do : Please state your name , dress , name, and occupation .
Career : is a professional job that you do for most of your life : Her political career began 20 years ago .
Profession : is a job in an area of work such as law , medicine , or teaching for which you need special training and education : The medical profession

نور الهُدى 23-04-2008 09:25 AM

Thank you very much
Theme truly useful

قذائف الحق 23-04-2008 04:54 PM

Functions 3

Intelligent & intellectual

Intelligent : is an adjective : An intelligent person is good at learning and understanding things .
Intellectual : can be an adjective or a noun . An intellectual is someone who is well educated and interested in subjects which need long periods of study .
Note : A small child or even a dog can be intelligent but can't be called an intellectual .

قذائف الحق 24-04-2008 07:32 AM

Functions 4

Enquiry & inquiry
They are almost the same but :
Enquiry : is more often used for a simple request for information
Inquiry : is used for a long serious study : Several people have made enquiries about study / Several people have made enquiries about the job / a government inquiry into the disaster.

قذائف الحق 27-04-2008 11:06 AM

Infer & Imply

Infer : as a listener you infer something ( = take a particular meaning from ) the words of the speaker : I inferred from his remarks that he hadn't enjoyed the visit .
Imply : As a speaker your words imply something ( = suggest a particular meaning indirectly): He implied that he hadn't enjoyed the visit .

قطرات الندى 27-04-2008 05:20 PM

Salam Alikom Brother In Islam
Great effort
Wellcome here in your second home

**Ashefaa Forum**
Thank you so much for this participation

Waiting for your participations alawys
http://www.s3udy.net/pic/thankyou005_files/37.gif
May allah bless you
Fi Aman Elah***

قذائف الحق 27-04-2008 07:19 PM

والله انتو ناس محترمين بالعربي والانجليزي كمان ما توقعت التنظيم الجميل ده ان شاء الله تكون مشاركات اللغة الانجليزية اقوى من العربي

قذائف الحق 28-04-2008 05:20 AM

Improvement in / on
Improvement in : is used to talk about something that has got better : There has been a great improvement in this work .
Improvement on : is used to compare two things , when one of them is better than the other : Today's weather is a definite improvement on yesterday's .

قذائف الحق 30-04-2008 05:49 PM

Immediately & as soon as

Immediately & as soon as
Immediately : If you use immediately it can sound as if you are ordering someone to do something , so try to avoid it if you want to be polite .It is better to use the phrase as soon as possible: I would be grateful if you could send me the information as soon as possible / Could you let me know as soon as possible

الساعة الآن : 09:09 AM